Monday, October 10, 2011

the Business.

Oh man. Saturday night I had a spiritual experience in the form of
J Roddy Walston and the Business.

True, I've sang their praises in blogs past, but had never seen them live and in all their gritty glory until this past weekend. The venue was small and the opener to the opener sang a song titled "Bitch, This Isn't L.A." - not my style by any means, if you can imagine, but comic relief if nothing else. We somehow survived the boys in skinny jeans and teen angst tunes just in time for my main squeeze to take the stage.
Initial thoughts...Wow, he has great hair. Like really great hair. We all know how important this feature is to me. J Roddy was also sporting Raybans and a wedding ring, the latter of which was a surprise but hey, he's a man of commitment, I can respect that... and be a tad jealous of his lady.

As soon as he started banging that piano with "I Don't Wanna Hear It" we all started singing and jumping like fools, and the great thing is no one cared! It was one of those shows where every one around me was singing along to every word just like I was, so I really didn't care how dopey I looked dancing around like a crack addict singing "I know you hate me baby but don't break the needle." They played all of my favorites, including "Brave Man's Death" where he basically made the piano his bitch in front of my very eyes. I might or might not have semi-yelled that very sentence amongst the madness. Maybe it was the boots I borrowed from Kenny. Nah, it was definitely J Roddy.

Ooh, and pre-J Roddy taking the stage I happened upon 1/3 of the Business, the bassist who was in plaid and also hiding out front whilst the opening band did their thing. We started talking about nonsense, he mumbled between drinks and it was pretty loud but I managed to make out "Great, what song do you wanna hear later?" to which I answered "Caroline" and the aforementioned "Brave Man's Death." They played both, and I was happy. And yes, he was a great kisser.

I'm working on katielovesjroddy.com now.

Until then, get their music and get ready to keep it on repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask Katie.