Thursday, March 31, 2011

space cadet.

I have never been a morning person. Sure, I love drinking coffee and starting the day, but I prefer to wake up leisurely and preferably after 8. So naturally, I have always been a night owl, an expression I always found odd but have become rather fond of over the years. After school I want to crash and burn, but somehow once I get back on my side of town and that moon is out, my batteries really charge right back up. And no, I am not a werewolf nor a battery-powered robot. Fact is I do not get the 7 hours of prescribed sleep. I just don't. I used to, I really did, but then life happened and I decided to count my losses and enjoy my youth. That's what we're supposed to do, right? Isn't that what they all say? My favorite English teacher used to always tell me - "Katie! Stay up late, go on adventures any time you can, because you can sleep when you're dead!" And the church said Amen!

But honestly, I have really been embracing this lately, lack of sleep and adventures included. Of course a semi-large part of this has to do with a certain someone that I love going on adventures with, whether it be early in the morning in a little town - which I still find amazing since as I said earlier, I am not a morning person - or late on a school night. Let's be honest, I wouldn't just randomly go drink a milkshake at a B- fast food chain for breakfast all by myself, I'm just not that creative. But I did, we did, and it was such a perfect morning. And why go to sleep when you can stay up scheming about writing books and listening to Mumford & Sons on vinyl in the dark? Or sitting in the car singing along to 80's pop songs and waiting for it to stop raining? Some of the sweetest moments happen when you should be sleeping.

Now to be completely real with you, sleep is a good thing. No, a great thing. I am by no means implying that sleep is not important or that I am somehow immune to a lack of it. Just last Saturday I took THE longest nap I have ever taken, well, since college, and I woke up feeling like a new woman. So ok, this is me encouraging you to sleep when you can, and hey, if you don't get 6 or even 4 hours, there is always concealer for the circles under your eyes and a Starbucks just around the corner. My case is this: take every opportunity to go on adventures with the wonderful people you can't seem to get enough of, and hey, it's okay to be a little irrational sometimes. It happens. I guarantee, no matter how sleepy you are the next day, you'll be glad you went.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask Katie.