Sunday, April 10, 2011

I guess every superhero need his theme music

Although I am supposed to be working on an ever so boring assignment for my next to last grad school class, I am currently attempting to lasso my thoughts for you since it's been a week or so and let's face it - the 12 people who read this blog have GOT to be getting antsy. I feel like a negligent girlfriend and I'm sorry - this is why I don't do well with plants, or goldfish. As assumed, this past week has been quite eventful, and while I wish I could re-tell all the sweet and hilarious details, I'll summarize:

A.) Small road trips are the greatest. Everyone is always rushing, some of us speeding, to get to the next place - I'm not talking about that. I'm referring to the times when your plans change and you find yourself happily in the passenger seat loving the ride. He knew I was sleepy so he asked to drive me back to Nashville, and I couldn't even pretend to object. A few days later he drove me back to get my car, cue another road trip, and I was even more excited for our next adventure. There's just something about being in a car with a boy who makes you smile. Especially one that sings along to Kanye with you. Which brings me to my next point....

B.) Say what you will about Mr. West, but he really knows how to make a great album. Sure, he has more ridiculous lyrics than poignant thoughts - see also: "_______ we rollin', with some light skinned girls and some Kelly Rowland's" - BUT he's genius in his own right. I don't want to go all Rolling Stone on you, but "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" transcends rap and is actual music. I've even started subconsciously dropping lyrics into everyday conversation, something that in the past has only been reserved for White Stripes lyrics - slowly turning into you being the most common. I would also like it to be known that I purchased this album not once, but twice, which if you know me you know is an occasion since I tend to "borrow" songs before I commit to purchasing the full album. (However, I am changing my ways and have not "borrowed" in months, thank you Amazon and positive peer pressure.)

C.) I was asked to speak at my alma mater for communication day, an event where all the PR/Comm/Journalism majors are invited to listen to working professionals give advice, an event that I helped plan while I was a PR major. Holy run-on sentence. Any who, I'm not dwelling on the event itself - that was fine. What was noteworthy and altogether surreal was the feeling I had while I was back on campus...seeing old professors and reuniting with some people I really do respect and love. It made me so thankful for that time in my life, and even more aware of how blessed I am to have such wonderful people in my life now. It's crazy to think that a few years ago I was with different friends, dating different guys and worrying about how many chapel skips I had. I feel so blessed that I am where I am, with who I'm with, doing what I love and on my own adventure. Hope that wasn't too sappy.

D.) You know what isn't sappy? Karaoke. Speaking of karaoke, singing "Fancy" at a karaoke bar is ALWAYS a good idea. Did I sing this classic Reba hit? No. An older lady with a rather large arm tattoo beat me to it, but you know what? Next time, I'll be ready.


I will now leave you with some eloquent Kanye lyrics. you're welcome.
How 'Ye doin? I'm surviving
I was drinkin' earlier now I'm driving
where the bad bitches huh? where ya hidin'?
I got the power make your life so exciting...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask Katie.