Wednesday, August 17, 2011

teenage dream.

So I'm teaching 8th grade English again this year...same song, second verse. A brand new year means brand new kids, and let me tell you, these kids are not afraid to say exactly what they're thinking!

On the first day, I decided to forgo the boring "stand and say your name and then what you did this summer" and opted for the more creative, 2 Truths and a Lie. The name of the game is to try and trick your classmates, blurring the line between the truth and lies about yourself. Although I had been warned by far smarter bystanders that I should brace myself for less than appropriate responses, I was confident that this would work! And work it did, until the last period of the day. One nerdy, yet confident boy that shall go unnamed simply because I haven't learned his name yet, comes to the front to take his turn:

"I'm really good at basketball.
I made all A's last year.
(....long pause.....)
...AND Ms. Powell makes me feel like I'm living a teenage dream."

Needless to say I was shocked and totally weirded out, making it impossible to hold any resemblance of a stern teacher face. So I laughed, called him Katy Perry and told him to sit down. It is definitely going to be an interesting year.

With all that said, I'm holding onto summer for the time being... staying up too late, driving with my windows rolled down and singing some J. Roddy.
I know you hate me baby, but don't break the needle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask Katie.